THW’s NHL Draft War Room Rankings (E-Mac): #15 (Feb 2014)
THW’s NHL Draft Rankings – The Next Ones Edition (aka Chris’s List): #16 (March 2014)
- Hashtag/Nickname: #TheArmsDealer
- Team: #22, Moncton, QMJHL
- Position: Left Wing
- Shoots: Left
- Height: 6’1
- Weight: 190 lb.
- Born: Moscow, Russia, 14-Dec-95
- Twitter: @Barbashev2295
12 – Future Considerations, Feb-14
13 – Bob MacKenzie, Jan-14
16 – Craig Button, Jan-14
16 – NHL Combined – Mid-term, Jan-14
19 – ISS, Feb-14
- Troy Dumville of NHL Central Scouting at NHL.com:
“He definitely can play that physical game and he’s got good size. He’ll fill out and develop into a good-sized player, but it’s early. He’ll definitely be one of the most skilled guys on his team and in the league. I don’t see him playing that physical game night in and night out, but at the same time he’s capable of it.”
From the THW War Room
- Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Ivan Barbashev:
- Arms dealer – All the shots, wrister, snapshot, slapshot, one-timer, backhand – all elite.
- Other skills – Passing, stickhandling, and vision – all at a high level; the kind of player who makes those around him better.
- Compete – Ivan has a high compete level. This is probably the reason that he was able to play for Team Russia at the WJC U20’s, the only draft eligible North American playing Russian to do so.
- Defense – His defense could still use improvement and consistency but his work ethic and compete is such that this is not likely to be the case for long.
- Rejuvenation – The arrival of Vladimir Tkachev to the Moncton Wildcats has acted as a revival for Ivan and seems to have helped take his game up another notch.
- Draft placement – In the teens on most lists, Ivan has a chance to move up if his continues to flourish with Tkachev.
- Video 1: Prospect interview by John Moore
- Video 2: Subway Super Series goal versus Team QMJHL from Андрей Мацегора
About NHL Draft War Room Series
This series is compiled by Eldon MacDonald and edited by @ChrisRalphTHW)