THW’s NHL Draft War Room Rankings (E-Mac): #21 (Feb 2014)
THW’s NHL Draft Rankings – The Next Ones Edition (aka Chris’s List): #24 (March 2014)
- Hashtag: #TheFinnishQB
- Nickname: Honks
- Team: #6, Swift Current, WHL
- Position: Defense
- Shoots: Right
- Height: 5’11
- Weight: 178 lb.
- Born: Jyvaskyla, Finland, 3-Dec-95
- Twitter: @HonkaJulius
17 – NHL Combined – Mid-term, Jan-14
17 – Craig Button, Jan-14
18 – Bob MacKenzie, Jan-14
30 – Future Considerations, Feb-14
— Torie Peterson (@ToriePeterson) January 5, 2014
— Adam Kimelman (@NHLAdamK) October 3, 2013
Tonight's also my first live look at super-Euro Julius Honka. Boy can this kid move. Amazing wheels and some fantastic offensive instincts.
— Cody Nickolet (@WHLFromAbove) October 3, 2013
- Profile 1: (Click on link within Tweet)
— Zenon Herasymiuk (@ZenonHerasymiuk) December 20, 2013
- Profile 2: Mitch Kasprick from ArizonaHockeyTalk.com
- Profile 3:
New Hot List up, 2014 prospect Julius Honka of Swift Current in the spotlight: http://t.co/acL4zLOvCz
— Ryan Kennedy (@THNRyanKennedy) January 21, 2014
Swift Current Coach, Mark Lamb, at NHL.com: “He’s been as good as advertised. He was just so good in training camp. His skating and his puck handling and his shot, he was way ahead of everybody. … You wonder, can he take it into the regular season and do it, but the biggest thing is how he practices and what he can do in practice, that’s where you really get a good look at this kid. He’s got some God-given talent that a lot of kids don’t have. He’s very high end. What he’s done offensively, the points are one thing, but he creates so many chances. He’s got that amount of points, he could have had a heck of a lot more.”
From the THW War Room
- Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Julius Honka:
- Power play quarterback – Watch the Swift Current power play and it all starts with Julius Honka. He reads the ice, choreographs the play and makes it happen – shot, pass, deke, feint. He is also very good as the trailer on the rush and has a good shot with a quick release.
- Offensive defenseman – With Julius, there seem to be a calmness of presence at either end of the ice. He seems to able to use his excellent skating and stickhandling abilities to move the puck up the ice at will.
- Size – He has that Tobias Enstrom vibe where size doesn’t seem to matter even though he is only 5’11, 178 lb. Of course, he will have to add strength to improve upon his board battles and net clearing.
- Draft placement – In the late teens on most lists. This is the area of the draft where general managers start to see so many little guys or not-so-big guys on their lists that you wonder if some of them may drop. However, I am betting that Julius will not be one of them as effective power play QB’s are pretty rare as well. And yes, he did win a gold medal with Team Finland at the U20 WJC.
- Favourite player: No surprise – Erik Karlsson
- Video 1: Highlights from Gybon B
- Video 2: Interview with Shawn Mullin of Shaw TV Swift Current
About NHL Draft War Room Series
This series is compiled by Eldon MacDonald and edited by @ChrisRalphTHW)