The NHL held its 2013 Entry Draft on Sunday June 30, 2013. There were 60 players with college hockey connections drafted. Roughly half of the Division I college hockey teams had players drafted during the 2013 NHL Entry draft.
In addition, six of the players drafted in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft played NCAA Hockey last season.
According to College Hockey Inc., former college hockey players made up 30 percent of the NHL players during the 2012-13 season.
College Hockey well represented in the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals
College Hockey was well represented in the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals. On the Boston Bruins roster; there were two former college hockey players. On the Stanley Cup Champions, there were seven former college hockey players that played for the Chicago Blackhawks during the 2013 Stanley Cup finals.
In this year’s 2013 NHL Entry Draft, 60 players were selected from the following conferences, Big Ten, ECAC, Hockey East, NCHC and WCHA conferences, there were no players selected from the Atlantic Hockey Conference.
Breaking down the draft, the University of North Dakota had six players drafted, that was the most of any Division I college hockey team. Coming in second, the University of Michigan had five players drafted. The University of Minnesota and Boston College tied for third place with four players drafted.
This season, there was only one player with a college hockey connection drafted in the first round, that’s historically a low number. During the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, four players were drafted. That number was originally higher, there actually had been five players originally drafted, but Zemgus Girgensons decided after the draft to sign a professional contract with the Rochester Americans, instead of playing with the Vermont Catamounts.
The Second round saw seven players with college hockey connections drafted; two of those players are going to play their college hockey for the Boston College Eagles.
The third round again, saw total of seven players drafted, two of those players are recruits of the University of North Dakota. There were 12 players were selected during the fourth round, topped by 15 players in the fifth round. There were also 11 players selected in the sixth round and seven players selected in the seventh round.
Below, is a summary of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft for players with NCAA hockey connections.
Rd/Overall –Team selected by … Player Name (team 2012-13) College
1. 25 MTL Michael McCarron, US NTDP, Western Michigan
2. 31 FLA: Ian McCoshen, Waterloo (USHL), Boston College
2. 35 BUF J.T. Compher, US NTDP, Michigan
2. 38 BUF Connor Hurley, Edina HS, Notre Dame
2. 42 NJ Steven Santini, US NTDP, Boston College
2. 46 MIN Gustav Olofsson, Green Bay (USHL), Colorado College
2. 47 STL Thomas Vannelli, Minnetonka HS, Minnesota
2. 61 WSH Sanford Zach, Islanders (EJHL), Boston College
3. 65 NYR Adam Tambellini, Surrey (BCHL), North Dakota
3. 66 CAR Brett Pesce, New Hampshire, New Hampshire
3. 70 NYI Eamon McAdam, Waterloo (USHL), Penn State
3. 74 CHI John Hayden, US NTDP, Yale
3. 76 NYI Taylor Cammarata, Waterloo (USHL), Minnesota
3. 77 PIT Jake Guentzel, Sioux City (USHL), Nebraska-Omaha
3. 87 ANA Keaton Thompson, US NTDP, North Dakota
4. 92 FLA Evan Cowley, Wichita Falls, (NAHL) Denver
4. 97 FLA, Michael Downing, Dubuque, (USHL), Michigan
4. 98 FLA Matt Buckles, St. Michael’s (OJHL), Cornell
4. 100 NJ Miles Wood, Noble’s (PREP), Brown
4. 104 WPG Andrew Copp, Michigan, Michigan
4. 106 NYI Stephon Williams, Minnesota State, Minnesota State
4. 109 DET David Pope, West Kelowna (BCHL), Nebraska-Omaha
4. 113 EDM Aidan Muir, Victory Honda (MWEHL), Western Michigan
4. 118 LA Hudson Fasching, US NTDP, Minnesota
4. 119 PIT Ryan Segalla, Salisbury, Connecticut
4. 120 BOS Ryan Fitzgerald, Valley (EJHL), Boston College
4. 121 CHI Tyler Motte, US NTDP, Michigan
5. 123 COL Will Butcher, US NTDP, Denver
5. 127 WPG Tucker Poolman, Omaha (USHL), North Dakota
5. 128 EDM Evan Campbell, Langley (BCHL), UMass Lowell
5. 129 BUF Cal Petersen Waterloo, (USHL), Notre Dame
5. 133 PHX Connor Clifton US NTDP Quinnipiac
5. 134 CHI Luke Johnson, Lincoln (USHL), North Dakota
5. 137 MIN Carson Soucy, Spruce Grove (AJHL), Minnesota Duluth
5. 140 NSH Teemu Kivihalme, Burnsville HS, Colorado College
5. 141 SJ Michael Brodzinski, Muskegon (USHL), Minnesota
5. 143 BUF Anthony Florentino, South Kent (PREP), Providence
5. 144 WSH Blake Heinrich, Sioux City (USHL), Minnesota Duluth
5. 147 ANA Grant Besse, Benilde-St. Margaret’s HS, Wisconsin
5. 148 LA Jonny Brodzinski, St. Cloud State St., Cloud State
5. 150 BOS Wiley Sherman, Hotchkiss (PREP), Harvard
5. 151 SJ Gage Ausmus, US NTDP, North Dakota
6. 153 COL Ben Storm, Muskegon (USHL), St. Cloud State
6. 157 CGY Tim Harrison, Dexter (PREP), Colgate
6. 159 BUF Sean Malone, US NTDP, Harvard
6. 161 OTT Chris Leblanc, South Shore (EJHL), Merrimack
6. 162 PHI Merrick Madsen, Proctor (PREP), Harvard
6. 164 PIT Dane Birks, Merritt (BCHL), Michigan Tech
6. 168 OTT Quentin Shore, Denver, Denver
6. 174 WSH Brian Pinho, St. John’s (PREP), Providence
6. 175 VAN Mike Williamson, Spruce Grove (AJHL), Penn State
6. 179 PIT Blaine Byron, Smiths Falls (CCHL), Maine
6. 181 CHI Anthony Louis, US NTDP, Miami
7. 185 NSH Wade Murphy, Penticton (BCHL), North Dakota
7. 193 PHX Jedd Soleway, Penticton (BCHL), Wisconsin
7. 195 CBJ Peter Quenneville, Dubuque (USHL), Quinnipiac
7. 197 MIN Nolan De Jong, Victoria (BCHL), Michigan
7. 198 CGY John Gilmour, Providence, Providence
7. 201 SJ Jacob Jackson, Tartan HS, Michigan Tech
7. 209 PIT Troy Josephs, St. Michael’s (OJHL), Clarkson