Welcome to The Hockey Writers HockeyPedia where you’ll discover our player pages, full of stats, history and awards. We also have detailed pages on drafts, awards, GMs, team histories and much more.
Here are our latest additions:
Article of the Day
Check out our ongoing coverage of the 2023 Trade Deadline as THW will post grades on our new page: 2023 Trade Grades. Our latest came with the Meier trade:
Devils Get Their Top-Six Winger
The Devils have their core players: Jack Hughes, Jesper Bratt and Nico Hischier. You can probably add Dougie Hamilton to that mix as well. But what they were missing, specifically up front, was a bonafide top-six winger to complement Hughes and Hischier. They acquired that in Meier, who’s on pace for 45 goals and 75 points this season.
What makes Meier such a weapon offensively isn’t necessarily his shooting ability; he is a slightly above-league-average shooter. Instead, it’s his shot volume. Meier shoots the puck a ton, and I mean a ton. His 255 shots on goal through 57 games is an average of 4.47 shots on goal, putting him on pace to total 367. That’d make him the team’s second-highest volume shooter behind Jack Hughes, who’s averaging 4.5 shots on goal a game.
To find out more about how we graded the trade, click here…
In the News
- The Toronto Maple Leafs made another big trade on Monday acquiring Jake McCabe and Sam Lafferty from the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Finally, to close out the festivities on Sunday, the Tampa Bay Lightning acquired Tanner Jeannot from the Nashville Predators for five draft picks and Cal Foote.
- The San Jose Sharks finally dealt Timo Meier to the New Jersey Devils on Sunday for a plethora of pieces including Shakir Mukhamadullin, Nikita Okhotiuk, Andreas Johnsson, Fabian Zetterlund, and a swath of draft picks.
- In addition to the Meier trade, the Montreal Canadiens also traded Evgenii Dadonov to the Dallas Stars for Denis Gurianov and the Vegas Golden Knights acquired Ivan Barbashev from the St. Louis Blues for prospect Zach Dean.
- The Winnipeg Jets acquired Nino Niederreiter from the Nashville Predators on Saturday for a 2024 second-round pick.
- The Vancouver Canucks also got into the fun trading for Vitaly Kravtsov from the New York Rangers in exchange for Will Lockwood and a 2026 seventh-round pick.
Today’s Pic of the Day
Other Sections of The Hockey Writers
The Hockey Writers offers hockey news and insight packaged the way you like. From our team and topic based daily newsletters, to our YouTube channel, you won’t miss any hockey news. We also have a very deep archive of historical posts for the hockey history fan as well as podcasts for those who like listening. If you want to skip to only the 30 most recent headlines, we have a page for that too.