Some say that “the buck stops here”. However, when it comes to the city of Raleigh, and more importantly, the Carolina Hurricanes, it’s more like “the bus stops here”. On Monday, Feb. 16, the Hurricanes extended netminder Brandon Bussi to a three-year, $5.70 million deal, keeping “The Bus Driver” in Raleigh for at least three more seasons. What does it mean for both the player and team that this deal got done?
The Bus Stops in Raleigh
The Hurricanes on Monday afternoon announced they extended Bussi to a three-year extension, which will pay him $1.9 million annually. Back on Jan. 27, we wrote at The Hockey Writers that Bussi deserved an extension. The prediction was either a two or three-year deal between $2.5 and $3 million average annual value (AAV). Safe to say, the term was correct, but the AAV was a tad high. Either way, what a win-win for both sides.
After being claimed off waivers just mere days before the home opener on Oct. 9, Bussi has had a season for the ages. He is the fastest goalie to 10, 15, and 20 wins, while also tying a franchise record nine in a row with legend Cam Ward. He has also recorded two shutouts to begin his career. Through 27 starts, Bussi has a 23-3-1 record with a 2.16 goals-against average (GAA) and a .908 save percentage (SV%). Plus, he recorded his first point in 2025-26.
Related: Hurricanes’ Brandon Bussi Making the Case for Vezina & Contract Extension
Bussi stated after signing the extension, “I love the Raleigh area. I love my teammates. I think we have the potential to do some very exciting things here over the next few years…” He continued saying, “You’re always proving yourself in this league, right? If things aren’t going well for me and I’m not producing, I won’t be here… Yes, it’s amazing to have this stability and to feel comfortable knowing I have a home for a few years, but it’s up to me to prove what I can do.”

After playing 111 American Hockey League (AHL) games with the Providence Bruins, he finally got his chance in the NHL, and he has not looked back. Following the extension, general manager Eric Tulsky stated, “Before we brought him to Raleigh, Brandon had been successful at every level from the USHL to college to the AHL. Given the opportunity at the NHL level this season, he’s proven to be a winner here, too. We are thrilled that he will continue to provide a steady presence in the crease for this team into the future.”
Bussi is currently tied for third in wins (23) with Jake Oettinger, who has 37 starts compared to Bussi’s 27, and is second with a 2.16 GAA, only .05 behind Andrei Vasilevskiy. The 27-year-old Long Island native has been dazzling everyone not only in Carolina but around the league. After submitting his “Save of the Year” candidate on Jan. 19, following a highway robbery save on Tage Thompson, people were all aboard the Bus for Bussi. As the Hurricanes have said already this season, “In Bussi We Trussi”.
Following the 2-1 win against the Buffalo Sabres, Henrik Lundqvist, a legendary goalie in his own right, stated on TNT that Bussi is the real deal. He essentially said that this is no flash in the pan or a fluke; he knows that Bussi is the real deal. As Tulsky stated in the press release, he has won everywhere he’s been. While playing with the P-Bruins, Bussi had a 63-31-13 record with a 2.61 GAA, a .915 SV%, and eight shutouts. Furthermore, while playing for Western Michigan, he had a 46-25-5 record with a 2.61 GAA and a .910 SV%.
Related: Hurricanes’ Brandon Bussi Has Been A Lifeline in the Crease
There is no doubt that Bussi has become a household name around the league, and he’s only played in 27 NHL games. This is a win-win deal for the Hurricanes because they bring stability to the crease, especially with Pyotr Kochetkov being out due to hip surgery and Frederik Andersen having an up-and-down season. He will be with the team through the 2028-29 season, where he will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA) when he turns 32. Regarding the 2026-27 season, the deal gives the Hurricanes a possible 1A/1B tandem of Bussi and Kochetkov, who will be in the last year of his four-year, $2 million AAV deal.
The goalie market looks sparse this upcoming summer, so the extension helps the Hurricanes avoid figuring out the crease for at least next season. It’ll be interesting to see what they do for the 2027-28 season and beyond. Regarding Bussi, it’s a win for him because it’ll bring him stability for the next three seasons and plant some roots for him at the NHL level. To go from a one-year, $775,000 deal to a three-year, $1.9 million AAV extension is a huge boost for him and his family.
The Hurricanes return to action on Thursday, Feb. 26, against the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Lenovo Center. It wouldn’t be a surprise if the Hurricanes go with Bussi in the crease to give him a massive ovation to begin the sprint to the NHL Playoffs in front of the Caniacs. The pop in the area will be almost as loud as the playoffs once his name gets announced following the extension. One thing is for sure: Bussi earned that contract extension, and he has three seasons to prove why he could get another one when he is 31 in 2029. For now, the wheels on the Bus will keep rolling as the Hurricanes look to make a deep playoff run in a couple of months.
