Why join THW?
- Being part of one of the largest, most respected hockey publishers
- Unparalleled network of writers, scholars and influencers
- Rock solid publishing platform
- Guaranteed compensation when submitting six or more monthly articles
We have a huge audience of over 2 million monthly visitors. These include NHL executives and HR people, hockey publications, player agents, radio and tv personalities; all sorts of hockey people will read your work.
“The Hockey Writers provide the tools to succeed in pursuing a career in sports writing. THW gave me the opportunity to cover the 2015 All-Star Weekend in Columbus, which included privileged access to NHL players and coaches throughout the weekend.” – Andy Dudones, former THW contributor
“I learned a great deal about writing in my time with The Hockey Writers. The tremendous support and teamwork the group offers helps to motivate and improve your writing. I have had doors opened for me that would never have been available if not for the exposure and the respect that The Hockey Writers has in the hockey community.”
– Andrew Eide, Sportsnet.ca, 710 ESPN Seattle
“The Hockey Writers provided me with the opportunity to cover some Calgary Flames games from the Press Box this season!” – Ryan Pike, credentialed THW contributor
“Athletes talk all the time about how playing with the best encourages them to elevate their games, and the same axiom applies to The Hockey Writers. Without the push I’ve gotten from this site, my writing would’ve stayed stagnant and I never would’ve gotten opportunities like writing for NBC .” – James Neveau, NBC Chicago
“During my time with THW I have taken the next step in my writing career; because of the success of the website I secured a full-season media pass in New Jersey. I have learned so much from the other writers & have made some great friends along the way as well. It’s an honor to work with such a talented group.” – Dan Rice, credentialed Devils contributor
“I was given the chance to cover a record-breaking event in the 2014 NHL Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium. It was a learning experience, an eye-opening chance to interact with players and coaches as well as market The Hockey Writers and market myself.”- Andrew Forbes, THW contributor and editor
Benefits of joining The Hockey Writers
- All writers are eligible for monthly traffic based compensation
- Private Slack group with direct access to our experienced & connected writers & site admins
- Personal Brand development
- Large & growing audience for your writing including a huge syndication network (Yahoo News, Google News, Flipboard, USA Today and more..)
We are seeking both the serious journalist who likes posting often, our beat writers, as well as part-timers. Experienced casual writers who write at a high level but may only have time for a couple monthly posts can also call THW home.
- Professionalism at all times
- Experience writing online, this should not be your first kick at the can
- An ability to consistently deliver high-quality work
- Publishing a minimum of 2 monthly posts
- A social media presence for sharing your work and potentially the work of your colleagues
Please send writing examples (links are fine) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Current open spots*: Arizona Coyotes, Calgary Flames, Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Montreal Canadiens, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, St. Louis Blues, Washington Capitals
Prospects, OHL, NWHL, Business and Hockey – the money game
* we may have other openings available, please feel free to inquire. You are also able to start covering one club then move to a preferred club in the future.
Please send an email to – email@example.com
* include a few lines about yourself and your writing experience, writing experience at a well known hockey outlet or University/Local paper is a must, and links to your work. Including a Twitter handle scores bonus points.
We receive a lot of requests and are not able to reply to everyone. If you do not receive a reply within a week it means that we are not moving forward with your application.