With just days before the final roster announcements for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey are due, the Czech Republic is going to have to make plans to go forward without veteran forward Jaromir Jagr. During an interview in May, Jagr said that a spot on the team had been offered, but he was, at that point, undecided as to whether he would play.
Czech GM Martin Rucinsky told ESPN that Jagr informed the Czech braintrust of his decision not play on the phone over the weekend.
Following last year’s World Championship, Jagr announced that he was retiring from international hockey. Rucinsky said that the federation hoped he had changed his mind after a strong season where he led the Florida Panthers in scoring. The 44-year-old felt well enough following the season that he agreed to a one-year contract extension with the Panthers almost immediately after the team’s season concluded.
The Czech Republic has announced 16 players to their World Cup roster so far, and will round the team on May 27.