The NHL took a little bit of a breather on Monday night with just one game on the schedule. After a real busy weekend it was kind of nice to just have one game to keep track of, and what a game it was. It featured two playoff teams from a year ago and needed a shootout to decide the victor.
Tarasenko Carries Blues Past Rangers
22-year old Vladimir Tarasenko had a tremendous game for the St. Louis Blues, as his shootout goal sealed the 4-3 victory Monday night. I am sure that anyone who watches hockey as much as we all do, and even the sports highlight show watchers have seen Tarasenko’s goal in the second period. If you haven’t yet here it is:
This was his seventh goal of the season which leads the team. It was the Blues fifth win in a row and moves them within one point behind the division leading Nashville Predators. The Rangers have lost two in a row and are tied for third in the Metropolitan Division.
St. Louis continue their road trip and look to make it six in a row on Tuesday night against the New Jersey Devils. The Rangers are off on Tuesday but will play host to the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday night.
— St. Louis Blues (@StLouisBlues) November 4, 2014
NHL News, Notes, Suspensions, Etc…
- Edmonton Oilers’ Andrew Ference has been suspended by the league for illegal hit on Canucks’ Kassian [Video – NHL.com]
- The Dallas Stars have recalled Valeri Nichushkin from Texas of the American Hockey League after a conditioning stint [Dallas Morning News]
- Beau Bennett of the Pittsburgh Penguins has been cleared to practice and will joing AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
- Vancouver Canucks have placed Tom Sestito on injured reserve with a leg injury. [Video – ProHockeyTalk]
- Taylor Hall has a sprained MCL and has been placed on the injured reserve list. [ESPN.com]
Tuesday Night Game Previews:
- Shawn Thornton and the Florida Panthers face the Boston Bruins in his first game against his old team. [Sun Sentinel]
- Joanne Ireland is curious as to what Edmonton Oilers team shows up against the Philadelphia Flyers Tuesday. [Edmonton Journal]
- Some unrest in the Capitals locker room prior to their game Tuesday against the Calgary Flames. [Washington Post]
- An Original Six tilt in Montreal as the Blackhawks face the Habs. [Chicago Tribune]
- Carolina looks to win their third in a row, but the Blue Jackets stand in their way. [Union and Blue]
- Detroit will look to rebound after getting beat by the Buffalo Sabres last time out in a game against the Ottawa Senators. [NHL.com]
- New Jersey have made some roster moves prior to Tuesday’s game against the St. Louis Blues. [Fire and Ice]
- Stanley Cup Preview? Maybe, maybe not but the Penguins travel to Minnesota to face Wild. [Hockey Wilderness]
- The Predators and Jets battle it out in Winnipeg. [On The Forecheck]
- Los Angeles Kings are hoping not to make it five losses in a row as they face the Dallas Stars. [Battle of Cali]
- Winners of three straight, the Toronto Maple Leafs hope for continued success as they head to the desert. [Maple Leafs Hot Stove]
- The Avs are looking to climb out of the basement on Tuesday against the Vancouver Canucks. [Mile High Hockey]
It is going to be a very busy but exciting night in hockey. Who do you have?
John Is a contributor with The Hockey Writers covering the Buffalo Sabres. He is also a Senior Writer and Editor at MetsMerizedOnline.