In today’s Roster Report, Jared McCann becomes the first player to ever sign an extension with the Seattle Kraken, six players are activated off injured reserve (IR) and Andrej Sustr finds a new home after being claimed off waivers. Let’s dig into the rest of the latest roster news from around the NHL.
- Washington Capitals reassigned Hunter Shepard from the Hershey Bears (American Hockey League) to the South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL).
- Ottawa Senators assigned Dillon Heatherington to the Belleville Senators (AHL).
- Seattle Kraken signed Jared McCann to a five-year contract extension.
Jared McCann #Kraken— CapFriendly (@CapFriendly) March 8, 2022
5 year / $25,000,000 extension
The deal buys Seattle 1 RFA Arb year and 4 UFA years. https://t.co/gboMh8cH9c
- Chicago Blackhawks recalled Alec Regula from the Rockford IceHogs (AHL).
- Nashville Predators activated Nick Cousins from IR.
- Dallas Stars assigned Marian Studenic to the Texas Stars (AHL) on a conditioning loan.
- Los Angeles Kings recalled Lias Andersson from his long-term injury (LTI) conditioning loan and activated him off IR. They also placed Brendan Lemieux on IR (retroactive to March 4).
- Anaheim Ducks claimed Andrej Sustr off waivers from Tampa Bay.
- San Jose Sharks assigned Jasper Weatherby and Santeri Hatakka to the San Jose Barracuda (AHL).
- Pittsburgh Penguins activated Teddy Blueger from IR.
- Detroit Red Wings activated Jakub Vrana from IR and placed Danny DeKeyser on IR after he cleared waivers.
- Columbus Blue Jackets signed Justin Danforth to a two-year contract extension.
- Florida Panthers assigned Spencer Knight to the Charlotte Checkers (AHL) after starting Monday.
- Toronto Maple Leafs activated Ondrej Kase from IR and assigned Mac Hollowell to the Toronto Marlies (AHL).
- Edmonton Oilers assigned Markus Niemelainen to the Bakersfield Condors (AHL).
- Tampa Bay Lightning activated Zach Bogosian from LTIR.
- Boston Bruins assigned Jesper Froden and Jack Ahcan to the Providence Bruins (AHL).
- Kevin Connauton (PHI) was on the ice for morning skate, but did not play Tuesday night.
- Zdeno Chara (NYI) was back on the ice at practice Tuesday.
- Jake Muzzin (TOR) made an appearance at practice on Tuesday morning.
Jake Muzzin back on the ice as he works his way back from a concussion @TSN_Sports pic.twitter.com/gR9yCrfcWa— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) March 8, 2022
- Nolan Patrick (VGK) practiced in a regular jersey and should be ready to return soon.
- Brett Howden (VGK) did not join the team on their road trip due to an undisclosed injury.
- Antoine Roussel (ARI) will miss six weeks with a lower-body injury suffered Saturday vs. Ottawa.
- Oskar Sundqvist (STL) is “banged up” and will have his minutes and games managed going forward. He did not suit up Tuesday vs. Ottawa.
- Miro Heiskanen (DAL) missed his third game with an illness, but will be back for Saturday’s game vs the Rangers.
- Cole Perfetti and Kristian Reichel (WPG) are both still not skating and are not close to returning.
- Erik Karlsson, Jaycob Megna, Jonathan Dahlen and Adin Hill (SJS) have all made progress from injury and could be back in action Thursday.
- Nico Hischier (NJD) missed Tuesday’s game with a lower-body injury.
- Pavel Buchnevich (STL) left Tuesday’s game due to concussion protocol.
Related: NHL Roster Report: Red Wings, Blue Jackets, Blues, Kings & More
New Jersey Devils (vs COL)
- IN: Mason Geertsen
- OUT: Nico Hischier (inj)
- Pavel Zacha centered the second line in Hischier’s absence.
Philadelphia Flyers (vs VGK)
- IN: Nick Seeler, Gerald Mayhew
- OUT: Kevin Connauton (inj), Max Willman
Florida Panthers (vs PIT)
- IN: Maxim Mamin, Jonas Johansson
- OUT: Anton Lundell (inj), Spencer Knight (minors)
- Mamin played on the top line with Mason Marchment sliding down to the third line.
Pittsburgh Penguins (vs FLA)
- IN: Teddy Blueger (missed 16 games with a broken jaw)
- OUT: Brian Boyle
Toronto Maple Leafs (vs SEA)
- IN: Ondrej Kase (missed four games with upper-body injury)
- OUT: Jason Spezza
Arizona Coyotes (vs DET)
- IN: Riley Nash
- OUT: Antoine Roussel (inj)
Detroit Red Wings (vs ARZ)
- IN: Jordan Oesterle, Jakub Vrana (season debut)
- OUT: Danny DeKeyser, Givani Smith
St. Louis Blues (vs OTT)
- IN: Mackenzie MacEachern (season debut), Alexei Toropchenko
- OUT: Oskar Sundqvist (inj), Klim Kostin (minors)
Nashville Predators (vs DAL)
- IN: Nick Cousins (missed seven games with a lower-body injury)
- OUT: Matt Luff
New York Rangers (vs MIN)
- IN: Julien Gauthier
- OUT: Libor Hajek
Minnesota Wild (vs NYR)
- IN: Jordan Greenway (missed six games with an upper-body injury)
- OUT: Connor Dewar
- Minnesota tweaked their defensive pairs as Jon Merrill played with Jared Spurgeon and Alex Goligoski was paired with Dmitry Kulikov.
Tampa Bay Lightning (vs WPG)
- IN: Zach Bogosian (missed 15 games with lower-body injury)
- OUT: Cal Foote
Anaheim Ducks (vs CHI)
- IN: John Gibson (missed one game with upper-body injury), Brendan Guhle
- OUT: Lukas Dostal (minors), Isac Lundestrom (inj)
- Anaheim went with an 11 forward/7 defense lineup.
Chicago Blackhawks (vs ANA)
- IN: Henrik Borgstrom, Alec Regula
- OUT: Mackenzie Entwistle, Riley Stillman
- Chicago revamped all four lines which included moving Kirby Dach to the wing.
It was a busy Tuesday night in the NHL with eleven games in total. Wednesday sees only two games on the schedule as Washington plays the second half of a back-to-back in Edmonton and Vancouver hosts Montreal.
For the latest NHL depth charts and projected lineups, please check out CapFriendly.