THW’s NHL Draft Rankings – The Next Ones Edition (aka Chris’s List): #5 (March 2014)
- HashtagNickname: #TheDeutschlandDangler, #GermanGretzky
- Team: #29, Prince Albert, WHL
- Position: Centre
- Shoots: Left
- Height: 6’2
- Weight: 208 lb.
- Born: Cologne, Germany, 27-Oct-95
- Twitter A/C: @Drat_29
2 – NHL Combined – Mid-term, Jan-14
5 – Bob MacKenzie, Jan-14
6 – Future Considerations, Feb-14
11 – Craig Button, Jan-14
11 – ISS, Feb-14
Very candid response from Draisaitl there when I asked about the weak part of his game. Admitted his defensive game is not great and skating
— Guy Flaming (@TPS_Guy) February 15, 2014
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) January 13, 2014
— The WHL (@TheWHL) January 6, 2014
— ISS Hockey (@ISShockey) January 22, 2014
- Quote 1: Dan Marr, NHL Director of NHL Central Scouting at NHL.com, “All season long he’s continued to develop as a prospect. You noticed him all the time last year and he’s gone out there and become a dominant player for Prince Albert this year. We like him as a top-five pick.”
From the War Room
- Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Leon Draisaitl:
- Big man size – Every team could use a big centre with elite skills. Although, he is not a hitter per say, he has that big man swagger about him.
- Hockey sense – Leon reads the play well and immediately acts on that read.
- Soft hands – Leon can be the scorer or the set up guy – he has those soft hands that makes the puck do what he wants it to do. They call him “The German Gretzky”.
- Potential growth – As good as he is now, a few more improvements in his skating, a little more physicality and this guy could be close to unstoppable. Top five in my books but a team betting on those improvements could take him much higher.
- Video 1: Hat trick from Hockey Prospect Videos
— Zenon Herasymiuk (@ZenonHerasymiuk) February 5, 2014
- Video 2: Shootout goal:
About NHL Draft War Room Series
This series is compiled by Eldon MacDonald and edited by @ChrisRalphTHW)