Toronto Beats Detroit in Shootout
On the always potentially over-hyped “Rivalry Wednesday”, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings had a good one. Maple Leaf’s goalie James Reimer had to stop 41 of the 42 Red Wings’ shots, and the opposite side Jimmy Howard had to turn away a much lower number of Leafs’ shots, bringing this game to a shootout.
Detroit got on the board first but it wasn’t until late in the second period, when Gustav Nyquist lit the lamp for the 13th time this season. Toronto would answer but it would be until the five minute mark of the third period. Phil Kessel continues on his good season scoring his 15th goal which tied the game at one. It would stay that way through the overtime period and would head to a shootout.
Pavel Datsyuk scored on the first attempt for the Red Wings, but Toronto would answer on the very next shot by Tyler Bozak. Mike Santorelli would secure the win on Toronto’s third attempt giving them their third win in a row. These two teams will face each other again on Saturday at the Air Canada Centre.
- The Maple Leafs are flying high lately and making a push in the standings. [Pension Plan Puppets]
- Red Wings’ fans are trying to figure out what happened in Wednesday night’s game [Winging it in Motown]
Ducks Beat Oilers, 2-1
In the first of a home-and-home between these two teams, the Anaheim ducks rolled to their fifth win in a row and their eighth in their last ten. Ryan Kesler scored his 10th of the season in the second period which would stand against the Oilers who are slip-sliding away. Edmonton has lost 13 of their last 14 and it doesn’t seem like that is going to change any time soon. Frederik Anderson won his 15th game of the season for the Ducks.
NHL News, Injuries, Suspensions, etc..
- Zdeno Chara may be back in the lineup sooner than expected [NHL.com]
- Anaheim Ducks signed Ilya Bryzgalov [Yahoo Sports]
- Minnesota Wild’s Marco Scandella suspended for illegal hit [NHL Dept of Player Safety]
- Mumps make their way to NJ Devils. Larsson and Zajac the last [ESPN.com]
- Cameron takes over for Ottawa and will debut against the Kings [CBC.ca]
John Is a contributor with The Hockey Writers covering the Buffalo Sabres. He is also a Senior Writer and Editor at MetsMerizedOnline.