The rumor mill is one of the most controversial areas for a hockey fan. Different names on different days make for the most interesting conversations around the water cooler.
The daily rumor roundup takes a look at some of the latest rumors making waves, and shares them all in one place so you don’t have to search around. Let’s take a look.
[quote_box_left author=””]Reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. It’s information that is circulating around the hockey world. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.[/quote_box_left]
- There are at least a half dozen players that could be dealt by the Oilers come deadline day.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs may be thinking about keeping James Reimer around beyond this season.
With the trade deadline a month away, Reimer has emerged as the Leafs’ version of Dioner Navarro, the switch-hitting catcher for the Toronto Blue Jays who often found himself in the middle of trade rumours last off-season yet spent the entire year with the team because he was, frankly, of more value to them than what they’d get on the trade market.
- There may be no decision on expansion coming soon, but, whenever it comes, the team(s) will need at least a year to get the ball rolling.
“The process is continuing, and we’re not ready to make a recommendation. That is something that will be done over the next few months, and that recommendation can be no expansion, one team or two teams. So the process is ongoing, but I don’t have a firm date for you.”
- Aleksander Barkov’s contract with Florida should impact the negotiations of Nathan MacKinnon’s new deal in Colorado.
The comparison bodes well for MacKinnon, who also is in the final year of his three-year, entry-level contract (ELC). Mac- Kinnon will have a choice of signing a short-term “bridge” deal with restricted free agency at the end of it, or do like Barkov and go long term with guaranteed money and ultimate freedom.
- The New Jersey Devils won’t give up future pieces just for rentals to make a run this year.
If you’ve heard of any substantial rumors, let us know in the comment section below. Also feel free to discuss the above rumors with fellow fans. And don’t forget have fun with it!
Don’t forget to stay up-to-date on everything regarding the 2016 NHL Trade Deadline with the official trade deadline hub of The Hockey Writers. You’ll find a list of every deal, all players with No-Trade or No-Movement Clauses as well as a list of the best available players. Find everything you need right HERE.