(a.k.a. David Pastrňák)
THW’s NHL Draft War Room Rankings (E-Mac): #17 (Feb 2014)
THW’s NHL Draft Rankings – The Next Ones Edition (aka Chris’s List): #19 (March 2014)
- Hashtag.Nickname: #TheGearChanger
- Team: #96, Södertälje, Allsvenskan (Sweden)
- Position: Right Wing
- Shoots: Right
- Height: 6’0
- Weight: 167 lb.
- Born: Havirov, The Czech Republic, 25-May-96
10 – Craig Button, Jan-14
14 – Bob MacKenzie, Jan-14
14 – NHL Combined – Mid-term, Jan-14
18 – Future Considerations, Feb-14
29 – ISS, Feb-14
#2014NHLDraft prospect David Pastrnak will miss the rest of the season. He leads the Allsvenskan's Södertälje in scoring. Horrific timing.
— Mitch Brown (@MitchLBrown) February 13, 2014
2104 draft eligible David Pastrnak has 8 points in 10 SHL-2 games. At same age in same league F Forsberg had 17 points in 43 games.
— Corey Pronman (@coreypronman) October 11, 2013
— ISS Hockey (@ISShockey) February 11, 2014
Czech beats neighbor Slovakia in a must-game, 4-1 and advance to quarterfinal. David Pastrnak 1+1. #WJC2014
— Red Line Report (@daredlinereport) December 31, 2013
- Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, at NHL.com:
“David is an offensive-minded player with smooth hands, great instincts and a very quick shot. He’s an excellent skater with speed and acceleration. He’s very smart on ice, but will need more weight and strength to excel at the next level.”
— Uffe Bodin (@UffeBodin) December 28, 2013
From the THW War Room
- Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on David Pastrňák:
- Offensive forward – He can dish the puck and he can finish as well. He has been doing very well at both in the Tier 2 Swedish pro league, the Allsvenskan (24 points in 36 games thus far, but an injury has prematurely ended his season).
- Skills – Skating, first gear, top gear, change of speed, agility, dartability; shooting, release, accuracy.
- Items to improve upon – His defense needs a lot of work and he is of a slight build.
- Draft placement – In the teens on most lists; a team needing offense may take him quite high thinking they will get an Ales Hemsky like player. Other teams, looking at his build and defense may back off until the end of the first round if he is still there.
- Video 1: Goal versus Slovakia at the U20 Worlds from Michael Soldán
- Video 2: In depth portrait on “Smiley”, as Pastrnak is called by his Södertälje colleagues.
- Video 3: 2 assists on William Nylander goals:
— Gustaf Dahlstrand (@GurraDahlstrand) January 11, 2014
About NHL Draft War Room Series
This series is compiled by Eldon MacDonald and edited by @ChrisRalphTHW)
Chris is THW’s senior draft/prospect analyst and a Managing Editor. Watch for “The Next Ones” Prospect Profile series, exclusive rankings, mock drafts, as well as the annual THW NHL Entry Draft Guide. Follow @ChrisRalphYQ on Twitter as he infiltrates, dissects and analyzes all happenings of hockey prospects and the NHL entry draft. Email: cralph[at]thehockeywriters[dot]com