This isn’t the first time brothers have faced each other in professional sports, but Sunday (since there was only one game on) Ryan Miller faced his brother Drew Miller, as the Vancouver Canucks faced the Detroit Red Wings.
Detroit Wins Fourth in a Row
The Detroit Red Wings won their fourth game in a row, and have pulled within one point of first place in the Atlantic Division. Vancouver missed on an opportunity to take over first in their division while dropping the game 5-3.
Pavel Datsyuk scored two goals for the Red Wings including he game-deciding empty net goal with :50 remaining in the game. Gustav Nyquist added his team leading 11th goal while Jimmy Howard picked up his 11th win of the season.
One of the highlights that has been getting a ton of play is the reaction of the Miller’s mother when Drew had a breakaway attempt on Ryan. It ended the way it should have since arguably Ryan Miller is the better of the two brothers, but her reaction (and apparel) were great. Take a look:
Mrs. Miller was wearing a duel colored blazer. One side blue, one side red. On the back had each boys name with their number. I couldn’t imagine what it is like to have a son (let alone two sons) playing a professional sport and against each other. She did a great job not showing who her favorite is.
“Big win for us…they’re a good team…both teams here played quick and I think they’re both going in the direction.” – Babcock #RedWings
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) November 30, 2014
NHL News, Injuries, Suspensions, etc…
- It isn’t great news but there is some better news on Gordie Howe [NHL.com]
- Denis Potvin is liking what he is seeing from the current New York Islanders [NHL.com]
- Montreal’s Alexei Emelin fined for hit on Sabres Gionta [ESPN.com]
- Alex Burrows missed serious injury as he takes a skate to the face [PuckDaddy]
- Anaheim Ducks acquire Eric Brewer as blueline gets injured [LA Times]
- Logical moves in the NHL and why they won’t happen [USA Today]
- Things to keep an eye out for in the coming week in the NHL [Bleacher Report]
Five games on the NHL schedule Monday night. Who do you have?
John Is a contributor with The Hockey Writers covering the Buffalo Sabres. He is also a Senior Writer and Editor at MetsMerizedOnline.