The rumor mill is one of the most controversial areas for a hockey fan. Different names on different days make for the most interesting conversations around the water cooler.
The daily rumor roundup takes a look at some of the latest rumors making waves, and shares them all in one place so you don’t have to search around. Let’s take a look.
[quote_box_left author=””]Reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. It’s information that is circulating around the hockey world. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.[/quote_box_left]
- After acquiring Dion Phaneuf, the Ottawa Senators could also be looking to acquire Jonathan Drouin.
- After drawing interest last year before knee surgery, Buffalo Sabres defenseman Josh Gorges could once again be a potential trade piece.
While Legwand and McGinn have attracted interest from teams looking to bolster their forward corps, contending teams are also keeping tabs on veteran defenseman Josh Gorges. Gorges, 31, has two-years left on his contract beyond this season and earns $3.9 million per season.
- Being in the midst of the playoff race, the San Jose Sharks are expected to be buyers come the deadline.
The San Jose Sharks are still willing to explore the possibility of trading veteran left wing Patrick Marleau, but the team is also likely to be buyers heading into the Feb. 29 trade deadline.
- The days of trading first-round picks for rental players may be finished.
“There’s no chance you’re seeing first-round picks go out for rental players this year,” one Western Conference hockey executive said Tuesday. “Those days are over.”
- The Columbus Blue Jackets are still actively involved in the trade market.
Kekalainen recently spoke with the Ottawa Senators about the availability of blueliner Fedor Tyutin, who is up for grabs, but those talks have broken off. In addition to Tyutin, the Blue Jackets are dangling the likes of forwards Scott Hartnell, Kerby Rychel and Cam Atkinson.
If you’ve heard of any substantial rumors, let us know in the comment section below. Also feel free to discuss the above rumors with fellow fans. And don’t forget have fun with it!
Don’t forget to stay up-to-date on everything regarding the 2016 NHL Trade Deadline with the official trade deadline hub of The Hockey Writers. You’ll find a list of every deal, all players with No-Trade or No-Movement Clauses as well as a list of the best available players. Find everything you need right HERE.