|Born:||July 5, 1957||Draft:||1977, Chicago Blackhawks, 5th Overall|
|Known For:||Blackhawks Highest Scoring Defenceman||Shoots/Catches:||Left|
Douglas Frederick Wilson (born July 5, 1957) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey defenceman and the current General Manager of the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League.
After a junior hockey career for the Ottawa 67’s in the Ontario Major Junior Hockey League, Wilson was drafted in the first round, sixth overall, in the 1977 NHL Entry Draft. He then played 14 seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks and two years for the San Jose Sharks in the National Hockey League. He was the first captain in Sharks history, serving two years before retiring after the 1992–93 season.
Wilson played 14 seasons in Chicago and still ranks as the club’s highest scoring defenceman in points (779 — sixth overall), goals (225 — 12th overall) and assists (554 — third overall). Wilson is fifth all-time in games played (938) for Chicago. He also led all Blackhawks defencemen in scoring for 10 consecutive seasons (1980–81 through 1990–91). In 1982, he was awarded the James Norris Memorial Trophy, as the League’s top defenceman. That year, he had 39 goals and 85 points, which are still the Blackhawks single-season records for goals and points by a defenceman.
He was selected to eight NHL All-Star Games (seven with Chicago and one with San Jose). While with Chicago, Wilson was named as an NHL First Team All-Star in 1982 and twice was named as an NHL Second Team All-Star (1985 and 1990).
His brother, Murray Wilson, won four Stanley Cups with the Montreal Canadiens.
Wilson was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame on June 24, 2020.
Doug Wilson Statistics
- 7 Fun Facts About Doug Wilson
- Top 5 Sharks Trades Under Doug Wilson
- Blackhawks All-Time Greatest Roster
- Hockey Hall of Fame (2020)
- Norris Trophy Winner as best defenceman in NHL (1982)
- 1st Team All Star (1981–82)
- 2nd Team All Star (1984–85)
- 2nd Team All Star (1989–90)
- 8 All Star Games (1982) (1983) (1984) (1985) (1986) (1987 Rendez-vous Series) (1990) (1992)
- Gold Medal Championship member of Team Canada “World/Canada Cup Series” (1984)
- Two time Norris Trophy Nominee as best NHL defenceman (1982 and 1990)
- Chicago Blackhawks Leader in Career Goals and Points by a defenceman.
- Led all Chicago Blackhawks defenceman in scoring for 10 consecutive seasons.
- 1st Captain in San Jose Sharks team history.
Serial entrepreneur who started building websites in 1995. Founded The Hockey Writers in Jan. of 2009. Traveled with family for a year, visiting 25 countries along the way.