|Born:||March 15, 1993||Draft:||2011 Jets, 7th Overall|
|Hometown:||Kitchener, ON, CAN||Position:||C|
Mark Scheifele (born March 15, 1993) is a Canadian professional ice hockey center and alternate captain for the Winnipeg Jets of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected by the Jets in the first round, seventh overall, of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, the teams’ first draft pick after relocating from Atlanta.
Scheifele grew up playing minor ice hockey in his hometown of Kitchener, Ontario, playing for the Kitchener Jr. Rangers rep program in the Alliance Pavilion League. After his minor midget season in 2008–09, Scheifele was drafted by the Ontario Hockey League (OHL)’s Saginaw Spirit in the seventh round of the 2009 OHL Priority Selection. His rights were later traded to the Barrie Colts and he was drafted seventh overall by the Winnipeg Jets. Scheifele played his first full NHL campaign during the 2013–14 season.
Throughout his tenure with the Jets, Scheifele has helped lead the team offensively and serve as a leader in the dressing room. During the 2015-16 season, he surpassed the 20-goal mark for the first time in his professional career and scored his first NHL hat-trick. As a result, he finished the regular season with a then-career high 61 points in 71 games as he helped lead the Jets to the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs. He followed that season up by leading the Jets in scoring and finished seventh in the league with 82 points in 79 games.
Scheifele has competed for Team Canada at both the junior and national level at international tournaments. After making his senior debut at the 2014 IIHF World Championship, Scheifele won his first IIHF World Championship gold medal in 2016 and was named his hometowns Athlete of the Year.
Mark Scheifele Statistics
- Jets Lose Scoring & Leadership With Scheifele Suspension
- Mark Scheifele Will Be First Jet to Score 50
- Mark Scheifele Drops 3 Spots on the 2020 Top-20 Centres List
- How Does Mark Scheifele Compare?
- Oshawa Challenge Minor Midget Champion — 2008-09
- GOJHL (Midwestern) Rookie of the Year — 2009-2010
- CHL Top Prospects Game — 2010-11
- OHL Most Assists by Rookie (53) — 2010-11
- OHL Second All-Rookie Team — 2010-11
- U18 WJC Top 3 Player on Team — 2010-11
- U20 WJC Bronze Medal — 2011-12
- OHL Playoffs Most Assists (26) — 2012-13
- OHL Playoffs Most Points (41) — 2012-13
- U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team — 2012-13
- World Championship Gold Medal — 2015-16
- World Championship Silver Medal — 2016-17
- World Championship Top 3 Player on Team — 2016-17
- NHL All-Star Game — 2018-19
- NHL All-Star Game — 2019-20
- Alternate Captain (Jets) — 2016-21
A die-hard hockey fan in the desert, and proud Iowa State alum. Detroit Red Wings and Arizona Coyotes contributor for The Hockey Writers.