THW’s NHL Draft War Room Rankings: #10 (Feb 2014)
THW’s NHL Draft Rankings – The Next Ones Edition (aka Chris’s List): #11 (March 2014)
- Hashtag/Nickname: #TheFinnishSniper
- Team: #42, KalPa, SM-liiga
- Position: Left Wing
- Shoots: Right
- Height: 6’0
- Weight: 180 lb.
- Born: Kuopio, Finland, 23-Jul-96
- Twitter: @kasperikapanen
- 6 – NHL Combined – Mid-term, Jan-14
- 9 – Bob MacKenzie, Jan-14
- 12 – ISS, Feb-14
- 14 – Craig Button, Jan-14
- 15 – Future Considerations, Feb-14
— ISS Hockey (@ISShockey) February 26, 2014
Years ago Kasperi Kapanen almost ran me over in Flyers locker room with belly scooter. Now he's top draft prospect – http://t.co/Mn8NcMjCuR
— Adam Kimelman (@NHLAdamK) January 13, 2014
- Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, at NHL.com,
“Kasperi is at present the No. 1 European prospect. He’s a regular with Kalpa in the Finnish league and is off to a good start. He’s a sniper who will play for Finland at the 2014 World Junior Championship. He possesses excellent vision and has great skills … he’s a star in the making.”
From the War Room
- Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Kasperi Kapanen:
- Offense – High-end sniper with the speed, dangle and shot to really make things happen.
- Compete – Top level, always in the mix.
- Genes – Plays with his Dad, 13 year NHL veteran Sami Kapanan. And no, he doesn’t play with his grandfather, Hannu Kapanen, who also played in the SM-liiga in the seventies.
- Improvements to Make – Like most players his age, his defensive game is still a work in progress. Also, he needs to sacrifice himself a little more to make plays succeed.
- Draft Placement – Most have him in and around the top 10. He could go higher to a team in love with his sniper abilities or he could slide a bit, like another relatively slight Finnish sniper, Teuvo Teräväinen, the excellent Chicago Black Hawks prospect in 2012.
- Video 1: Wowser goal from IceHockey0nly
- Video 2: Goal from habakoski
About NHL Draft War Room Series
This series is compiled by Eldon MacDonald and edited by @ChrisRalphTHW)
Chris is THW’s senior draft/prospect analyst and a Managing Editor. Watch for “The Next Ones” Prospect Profile series, exclusive rankings, mock drafts, as well as the annual THW NHL Entry Draft Guide. Follow @ChrisRalphYQ on Twitter as he infiltrates, dissects and analyzes all happenings of hockey prospects and the NHL entry draft. Email: cralph[at]thehockeywriters[dot]com