|Born:||March 18, 1986||Draft:||2004 Canucks #26 Overall|
|National Team:||United States||Current Team:||New York Islanders|
Cory Franklin Schneider (born March 18, 1986) is an American professional ice hockey goaltender who is currently playing for the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League (NHL). He previously played for the Vancouver Canucks and New Jersey Devils.
Schneider was selected in the first round, 26th overall, by the Canucks in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Following his draft, he began a three-year tenure with the Boston College Eagles, winning two Lamoriello Trophies as Hockey East champions and making two NCAA Final appearances during his college career. Schneider turned professional with Vancouver’s American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Manitoba Moose, in 2007 and was named the league’s Goaltender of the Year following his second season. After three seasons with the Moose, he became the Canucks’ full-time backup in 2010–11. In his first full season with the Canucks, he won the William M. Jennings Trophy with Roberto Luongo for establishing the best team goals against average (GAA) in the NHL. The following campaign, he set Canucks records for best GAA and save percentage in a single season with 1.96 and .937 marks, respectively.
At the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Schneider was traded to the Devils for the ninth overall selection. With the exception of the 2017–18 season, they were never a successful team during Schneider’s seven-year tenure, despite excellent performances during his first three seasons with the team. After they qualified for the playoffs in 2017–18, Schneider’s performance began to dramatically decline, and the team bought out the remainder of his contract in 2020.
Internationally, Schneider has represented the United States at various junior levels. Early in his career, he won gold and silver medals at the 2003 U-18 Junior World Cup and 2004 IIHF World U18 Championships, respectively. He later competed in the 2005 and 2006 World Junior Championships, finishing in fourth with the United States each time. Due to his Swiss ancestry, Schneider also holds a Swiss citizenship.
Cory Schneider Statistics
- Vancouver Canucks’ 2004 Draft: One of the Best in Team History
- Schneider Should Be Masterton Trophy Nominee for Devils Again
- Revisiting the Cory Schneider – Bo Horvat Trade
- NHL All-Star Game (2016)
- William M. Jennings Trophy (2011 – shared with Roberto Luongo)
- AHL All-Star Game (2009)
- AHL Best Goaltender (Baz Bastien Memorial Award) (2009)
- AHL Best Goaltending Duo (Harry Holmes Memorial Award) (2009)
- AHL First All-Star Team (2009)
- 2x NCAA (Hockey East) Champion (2005, 2007)
- 3x NCAA (Hockey East) All-Academic Team (2005, 2006, 2007)
- NCAA (East) First All-American Team (2006)
- NCAA (Hockey East) Second All-Star Team (2006)
- NCAA (Hockey East) Three Stars Award (2006)
- NCAA – First Team All American (2006)
- NCAA (Hockey East) All-Rookie Team (2005)
- U18 WJC Silver Medal (2004)
- USA Hockey Junior Goalie of the Year (Dave Peterson Award) (2004)