One of the many signs indicating your own advancing age is when NHL players you grew up watching, seemingly out of nowhere, have kids that are NHL draft eligible.
But of course, names can be deceiving.
Below are 10 players who are eligible for this year’s draft (and ranked by Central Scouting). Can you guess whether or not the player in question is related to the listed potential relative and former NHL player with the same last name? By ‘related’ I mean the draft eligible player must be related to the NHL veteran player as a first-degree relative (sibling, son) or a second-degree relative (limited to nephew only). Answers are at the bottom. Unfortunately, I could not provide photos of every player, but I think you’ll do just fine.
1. Alexandre Goulet, 6’2″ 196 lb forward for the Charlottetown Islanders of the QMJHL
Potential relative: Michel Goulet, legendary forward for the Quebec Nordiques who scored 548 goals in the NHL
2. Gabriel Gagné: 6’5″ forward for the Victoriaville Tigres of the QMJHL
Potential relative: Simon Gagné, former QMJHL top prospect, longtime Philadelphia Flyer, Stanley Cup winner (2012)
3. Fredrik Forsberg, center for Leksand Jr in Sweden
Potential relative: Filip Forsberg, high-scoring rookie for the Nashville Predators in 2014-2015
4. Lukas Zetterberg, Swedish forward with the Vasteras Jr (U-20) team.
Potential relative: Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings forward, Stanley Cup winner, Conn Smythe winner (2008)
5. Nicolas Meloche, defenseman for Baie-Comeau Drakkar of the QMJHL
Potential relative: Gilles Meloche, former QMJHL all star and longtime NHL goaltender for the Seals, North Stars and Penguins
6. Radovan Bondra, 6’5″ 220 lb forward for Kosice in Slovakia
Potential relative: Peter Bondra, Washington Capitals sniper who scored 503 goals in the NHL
7. Jackson Keane, center for the Winnipeg Blues of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL)
Potential relative: Mike Keane, three-time Stanley Cup winner in Montreal, Colorado and Dallas.
8. Adam Marsh, forward for the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL
Potential relative: Peter Marsh, former winger with Sherbrooke of the QMJHL and veteran of 508 total games between the WHA and the NHL
9. Felix Sandström, goaltender with Brynas Jr. in Sweden
Potential relative: Tomas Sandström, longtime NHL forward with the Rangers, Kings and Penguins, Stanley Cup champion (1997- Detroit)
10. Adam Musil, center for the Red Deer Rebels of the WHL
Potential relative: Frank Musil, veteran of 747 NHL games with four teams including the North Stars and Flames
A bonus point if you can name which player is Bobby Holik’s nephew.