The rumor mill is one of the most controversial areas for a hockey fan. Different names on different days make for the most interesting conversations around the water cooler.
The daily rumor roundup takes a look at some of the latest rumors making waves, and shares them all in one place so you don’t have to search around. Let’s take a look.
[quote_box_left author=””]Reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. It’s information that is circulating around the hockey world. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.[/quote_box_left]
- Teams may be slowing down their pursuit of Jonathan Drouin because of his lack of production.
Rest of the League:
- So far, three teams — Buffalo, Columbus and Toronto — are guaranteed to be sellers come the February 29th trade deadline.
- With the Carolina Hurricanes in the playoff race in the East, there is more uncertainty surrounding the status of Eric Staal.
“We touched base last month and agreed to touch base towards the end of this month to see where things were,” Ron Francis said. “So, we haven’t had that conversation yet. There’s still six weeks until we get to the deadline. Hopefully we’re still in the hunt.”
- The Washington Capitals are going “all in” for a Stanley Cup this season.
- Despite his injury, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is still being shopped by the Edmonton Oilers.
Leon Draisaitl has emerged as a first-line center for the Oilers while promising rookie Connor McDavid is set to return to action following the All-Star break. With that much depth down the middle, it’s not surprising Nugent-Hopkins could be available.
- If the Pittsburgh Penguins miss the playoffs, there could be major changes in store for the team.
- Tampa Bay may have made an offer to pending UFA Steven Stamkos recently, and the number may begin with an eight.
The media blackout by Yzerman, Stamkos and agent Don Meehan makes it very difficult to determine what all that really means, but it is believed the Lightning made a contract offer in recent weeks.
If you’ve heard of any substantial rumors, let us know in the comment section below. Also feel free to discuss the above rumors with fellow fans. And don’t forget have fun with it!
Don’t forget to stay up-to-date on everything regarding the 2016 NHL Trade Deadline with the official trade deadline hub of The Hockey Writers. You’ll find a list of every deal, all players with No-Trade or No-Movement Clauses as well as a list of the best available players. Find everything you need right HERE.