The Game of Numbers is an exclusive THW series looking at upcoming milestones around the NHL. Each team will be looked at individually in three parts – individual player milestones, franchise player milestones, and players that rank in the top 100 in NHL history in any big statistical category.
While it’s not overly publicized, the New Jersey Devils are a team of tradition. Take Lou Lamoriello for example, he’s been a part of the club since the late 1980s. But it’s also a franchise that has garnered a lot of respect over the years, from the legendary Martin Brodeur to the now grizzly veteran that is Patrik Elias.
Sure, the team is in the midst of finding a new core with guys like Zach Parise leaving, but the addition of Cory Schneider in net gives them a stepping stone to build from. In the meantime, current players are looking to leave their mark in the Devils’ red and black uniforms as they search for individual and franchise milestones on a game to game basis.
New Jersey Devils Individual Milestones
Split fairly evenly, the Devils’ roster is made up of number of veterans and a new generation of players looking to make their mark in the NHL. While years of experience separate the two groups, their goals are similar – to win and to play a part in that process. With Schneider in net, the other skaters can focus on doing their part while setting personal marks.
- 800 games played: Martin Havlat (788), Bryce Salvador (786)
- 700 games played: Tuomo Ruutu (695)
- 600 games played: Andy Greene (552)
- 500 games played: Ryane Clowe (491)
- 300 games played: Peter Harrold (272), Adam Henrique (262)
- 200 games played: Scott Clemmensen (191), Adam Larsson (185), Stephen Gionta (184), Jacob Josefson (173)
- 300 goals: Mike Cammalleri (261)
- 200 goals: Scott Gomez (180)
- 100 goals: Adam Henrique (68), Jordin Tootoo (58)
- 600 assists: Scott Gomez (564)
- 400 assists: Danius Zubrus (358), Martin Havlat (352)
- 300 assists: Mike Cammalleri (279)
- 200 assists: Ryane Clowe (197), Tuomo Ruutu (196)
- 100 assists: Jordin Tootoo (90), Bryce Salvador (86), Adam Henrique (82)
- 600 points: Martin Havlat (593), Danius Zubrus (582)
- 500 points: Michael Ryder (484)
- 200 points: Andy Greene (169), Adam Henrique (150)
- 100 wins: Cory Schneider (97), Scott Clemmensen (73)
New Jersey Devils Franchise Milestones
For years, players like Scott Stevens, Ken Daneyko, and Sergei Brylin donned the Devils black and red. Of course, everyone knows how long Brodeur pulled on that jersey, but with all of those players retiring – their numbers in tact – it’s time for others to make their way up the club’s statistical rankings. Now, guys like Elias and Travis Zajac have the opportunity to solidify their spot on New Jersey’s all-time lists.
- Patrik Elias (1,217) needs 67 games played to pass Ken Daneyko (1,283) for 1st on the team’s all-time list.
- Travis Zajac (618) needs 24 games played to pass Aaron Broten (641) for 13th on the team’s all-time list.
- Scott Gomez (599) needs 20 games played to pass Travis Zajac (618) for 14th on the team’s all-time list.
- Andy Greene (552) needs 5 games played to pass Kirk Muller (556) for 18th on the team’s all-time list.
- Danius Zubrus (547) needs 6 games played to pass Andy Greene (552) for 19th on the team’s all-time list.
- Cory Schneider (109) needs 3 games played to pass Craig Billington (111) for 7th on the team’s all-time goalie list.
- Scott Clemmensen (68) needs 12 games played to pass Hardy Astrom (79) for 13th on the team’s all-time goalie list.
- Travis Zajac (127) needs 3 goals to pass Sergei Brylin (129) for 17th on the team’s all-time list.
- Scott Gomez (123) needs 5 goals to pass Travis Zajac (127) for 18th on the team’s all-time list.
- Scott Gomez (358) needs 7 assists to pass Scott Niedermayer (364) for 2nd on the team’s all-time list.
- Travis Zajac (219) needs 10 assists to pass Petr Sykora (228) for 12th on the team’s all-time list.
- Scott Gomez (481) needs 40 points to pass Kirk Muller (520) for 3rd on the team’s all-time list.
- Travis Zajac (346) needs 40 points to pass Jamie Langenbrunner (385) for 12th on the team’s all-time list.
- Travis Zajac (33) needs 1 powerplay goal to pass Bruce Driver (33) for 19th on the team’s all-time list.
- Cory Schneider (42) needs 2 wins to pass Craig Billington (43) for 6th on the team’s all-time list.
- Scott Clemmensen (32) needs 7 wins to pass Johan Hedberg (38) for 8th on the team’s all-time list.
- Cory Schneider (8) needs 116 shutouts to pass Martin Brodeur (124) for 1st on the team’s all-time list.
- Scott Clemmensen (4) needs 1 shutout to pass Craig Billington and Sean Burke (4) for 5th on the team’s all-time list.
‘Top 100’ Milestones
In 1996, the Philadelphia Flyers took Danius Zubrus with the 15th overall pick. While he’s not an NHL superstar, Zubrus has turned into one of the better fourth line players. In his eighth season with the Devils, Zubrus’ consistency in his role with the team has earned him recognition amongst the team’s fans. His ability to stay in the lineup has led him to a spot among the games best when it comes to games played.
- Zubrus (1,236) needs 3 games played to pass Doug Weight (1,238) for 87th on the NHL’s all-time list.
At 38, Patrik Elias is still an big offensive threat for the New Jersey Devils. As a second-round pick in 1994, Elias has played his entire 19-year career with the Devils. Solidifying a spot on the franchises all-time statistical lists, Elias has also found a way to build up strong career totals placing him among the game’s best.
- Elias (1,217) needs 3 games played to pass Eric Nesterenko (1,219) for 96th on the NHL’s all-time list.
- Elias (404) needs 3 goals to pass John LeClair and Rod Gilbert (406) for 87th on the NHL’s all-time list.
- Elias (610) needs 6 assists to pass Brad Richards and Rod Gilbert (615) for 75th on the NHL’s all-time list.
- Elias (1,014) needs 7 points to pass Dale Hunter (1,020) for 77th on the NHL’s all-time list.
- Elias (80) needs 2 game-winning goals to pass Gilbert Perreault (81) for 24th on the NHL’s all-time list.
Scott Gomez has certainly had his struggles over the past few seasons, but he always seems to put his game together when he’s wearing a Devils uniform. Drafted in 1998, 27th overall, Gomez has found a way to put a stamp on his career with his playmaking abilities.
- Gomez (564) needs 1 assist to pass Marian Hossa (564) for 94th on the NHL’s all-time list.
More from the ‘Game of Numbers’ series:
Eastern Conference: BOS | BUF | CAR | CLB | DET | FLA | MTL | NJD | NYI | NYR | OTT | PHI | PIT | TBL | TOR | WSH
Western Conference: ANA | ARZ | CAL | CHI | COL | DAL | EDM | LAK | MIN | NSH | SJS | STL | VAN | WPG
NOTE: The ‘Game of Numbers’ series is subject to updates as the 2014-15 season progresses. Individual marks will only appear if the player is within 50 of the specific statistical milestone, while franchise marks only recognize the top 20 in club history.
For more, follow Andrew on Twitter at @AndrewGForbes or his THW column at @Tape2TapeTHW.