The Game of Numbers is an exclusive THW series looking at upcoming milestones around the NHL. Each team will be looked at individually in three parts – individual player milestones, franchise player milestones, and players that rank in the top 100 in NHL history in any major statistical category.
When the Tampa Bay Lightning and GM Steve Yzerman traded away Martin St. Louis, some wondered who would be that set-up linemate for Steven Stamkos. Nobody expected the young line of Johnson-Palat-Kucherov to excel as quickly as they did.
But the Triplet Line took over and even when Stamkos struggled, the Lightning could rest their expectations on the shoulders of these young forwards and they produced. And they will look to grow on that in the coming years as Tampa Bay continues to grow together – from young and talented to experienced with a trip to the 2014-15 Stanley Cup Finals.
Tampa Bay Lightning Individual Milestones
With such a young franchise, a lot of Lightning players are still early in their careers. Sure, they have veterans like Brenden Morrow, Matt Carle and Brian Boyle, but they also have a group of players still searching for their 100th point. And with that, here’s a look at the individual milestones the Lightning players will be searching for come next season.
- 1,000 games played: Brenden Morrow (991)
- 700 games played: Matt Carle (660)
- 500 games played: Steven Stamkos (492), Anton Stralman (476), Brian Boyle (473)
- 400 games played: Victor Hedman (392), Jason Garrison (388)
- 200 games played: Alex Killorn (191), Tyler Johnson (173), Ondrej Palat (170), Ben Bishop (170)
- 100 games played: Jonathan Drouin (70), Cedric Paquette (66)
- 300 goals: Steven Stamkos (276), Brenden Morrow (265)
- 200 goals: Ryan Callahan (162)
- 100 goals: Brian Boyle (67), Tyler Johnson (56)
- 200 assists: Ryan Callahan (157)
- 100 assists: Jason Garrison (96), Ondrej Palat (85), Tyler Johnson (72), Alex Killorn (59), Brian Boyle (57)
- 600 points: Brenden Morrow (575)
- 500 points: Steven Stamkos (498)
- 400 points: Valtteri Filppula (357)
- 300 points: Matt Carle (273)
- 200 points: Victor Hedman (182), Braydon Coburn (168), Anton Stralman (151)
- 100 points: Alex Killorn (98), Nikita Kucherov (83)
- 100 wins: Ben Bishop (95)
Tampa Bay Lightning Franchise Milestones
As a franchise established in 1992, the Lightning don’t have a storied history. Sure, they’ve won a Stanley Cup and played home to some great NHL players including, Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards and St. Louis, but it’s the players on the team now that are looking to cement their names in Tampa Bay hockey history by setting franchise marks.
- Steven Stamkos (492) needs 61 games played to pass Brad Richards (552) for 4th on the team’s all-time list.
- Victor Hedman (392) needs 3 games played to pass Dan Boyle (394) for 13th on the team’s all-time list.
- Ben Bishop (134) needs 59 games played to pass Nikolai Khabibulin (192) for 2nd on the team’s all-time goalie list.
- Steven Stamkos (276) needs 90 goals to pass Martin St. Louis (365) for 2nd on the team’s all-time list.
- Tyler Johnson (56) needs 8 goals to pass Petr Klima (63) for 17th on the team’s all-time list.
- Steven Stamkos (222) needs 23 assists to pass Vinny Prospal (244) for 4th on the team’s all-time list.
- Victor Hedman (143) needs 19 assists to pass Chris Gratton (161) for 9th on the team’s all-time list.
- Ondrej Palat (85) needs 25 assists to pass Ryan Malone (109) for 15th on the team’s all-time list.
- Steven Stamkos (498) needs 377 points to pass Vincent Lecavalier (874) for 2nd on the team’s all-time list.
- Victor Hedman (182) needs 4 points to pass Roman Hamrlik (185) for 14th on the team’s all-time list.
- Steven Stamkos (94) needs 3 powerplay goals to pass Martin St. Louis (96) for 2nd on the team’s all-time list.
- Tyler Johnson (13) needs 3 powerplay goals to pass Dino Ciccarelli (15) for 17th on the team’s all-time list.
- Ryan Callahan (13) needs 1 powerplay goal to pass John Cullen and Tyler Johnson (13) for 18th on the team’s all-time list.
- Steven Stamkos (39) needs 22 game-winning goals to pass Vincent Lecavalier (60) for 2nd on the team’s all-time list.
- Tyler Johnson (10) needs 1 game-winning goal to pass Teddy Purcell (10) for 16th on the teams’ all-time list.
- Ondrej Palat (9) needs 2 game-winning goals to pass Tyler Johnson and Teddy Purcell (10) for 16th on the team’s all-time list.
- Alex Killorn (9) needs 1 game-winning goal to pass Mikael Andersson and Ondrej Palat (9) for 18th on the team’s all-time list.
- Ben Bishop (80) needs 4 wins to pass Nikolai Khabibulin (83) for 1st on the team’s all-time list.
- Ben Bishop (10) needs 3 shutouts to pass Daren Puppa (12) for 2nd on the team’s all-time list.
More from the ‘Game of Numbers’ series:
NOTE: The ‘Game of Numbers’ series is subject to updates as the 2014-15 season progresses. Individual marks will only appear if the player is within 50 of the specific statistical milestone, while franchise marks only recognize the top 20 in club history.
For more, follow Andrew on Twitter at @AndrewGForbes or his THW column at @Tape2TapeTHW.
Andrew is in his 8th year reporting for The Hockey Writers covering the Toronto Maple Leafs. He began his broadcasting with CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada team as well as being part of their coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi. He’s the former play-by-play voice of the London Jr. Knights for Rogers TV and currently hosts the Sticks in the 6ix podcast. You can follow him on Twitter at @AndrewGForbes.