|Born:||September 19, 1970||Draft:||1989 Jets #109 Overall|
|Hometown:||Grand Haven, MI||Position:||Right Wing|
|Known For:||Stanley Cup||Shoots:||Left|
|National Team:||United States||Current Team:||Charlotte Checkers (AHL) – Asst. Coach|
Daniel Brian Bylsma (/ˈbaɪlzmə/; born September 19, 1970) is an American professional ice hockey coach and former player. He is currently an assistant coach with the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). He is also the former head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Buffalo Sabres in the National Hockey League (NHL), and was also an assistant coach for the Detroit Red Wings. He also was the former head coach of the United States men’s national ice hockey team. Prior to coaching the Sabres, Bylsma was the head coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins, whom he led to a Stanley Cup championship in 2009, just four months after being promoted to Pittsburgh’s head coaching position.
Prior to coaching the Penguins, he played as a forward in the NHL with the Los Angeles Kings and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and coached in the AHL. He was drafted in the sixth round (109th overall) of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft, by the Winnipeg Jets.
Years as an NHL player: 1995-2004
Years as an NHL coach: 2005-2021
Dan Bylsma Statistics
- Canucks Candidates to Replace Green Should Include Boudreau & Bylsma
- Seattle Kraken’s AHL Affiliate Revealed as Coachella Valley
- Florida Panthers: 3 Head Coaching Candidates
- Dan Bylsma: Great Coach or Product of Talented Team?
- Pittsburgh Penguins’ 3 Greatest Head Coaches
- AHL Cincinnati Mighty Ducks (Asst. Coach) 2004-2005
- NHL New York Islanders (Asst. Coach) 2005-2006
- AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Asst. Coach) 2006-2008
- AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Head Coach) 2008-2009
- NHL Pittsburgh Penguins (Head Coach) 2009-2014
- Winter Olympics Team USA (Head Coach) 2014
- World Championship Team USA (Asst. Coach) 2015
- NHL Buffalo Sabres (Head Coach) 2015-2017
- World Championship Team USA (Asst. Coach) 2018
- NHL Detroit Red Wings (Asst. Coach) 2018-2021
- World Championship Team USA (Asst. Coach) 2019
- AHL Charlotte Checkers (Asst. Coach) 2021-present
As a Player
- 2x NCAA (CCHA) All-Academic Team (1990, 1992)
As a Coach
- Stanley Cup Champion (Penguins – 2009)
- Jack Adams Award (Penguins – 2011)
- 2x World Championship Bronze Medalist (2015, 2018)
Matthew Zator is a THW freelance writer, media editor, and scout who lives and breathes Vancouver Canucks hockey, the NHL Draft, and prospects in general. He loves talking about young players and their potential. Matthew is a must-read for Canucks fans and fans of the NHL Draft and its prospects. For interview requests or content information, you can follow Matthew through his social media accounts which are listed under his photo at the conclusion of articles like this one about Tyler Motte.