|Born:||November 23, 1987||Draft:||2006 Capitals #4 Overall|
|Known For:||Stanley Cup||Shoots:||Left|
Nicklas Bäckström (Swedish: [ˈnɪ̌kːlas ˈbɛ̂kːstrœm]; born 23 November 1987) is a Swedish professional ice hockey centre and alternate captain for the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League (NHL). Bäckström was selected fourth overall by the Capitals at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Bäckström is renowned for his elite playmaking abilities, earning him a reputation as one of the league’s most skilled passers. Since 2013–14, Bäckström began a streak of six-consecutive 50-assist seasons, one of only 26 players to ever accomplish the feat. He has since gone on to become Washington’s all-time franchise leader in assists and is second in all-time franchise points behind linemate Alexander Ovechkin. Bäckström won the Stanley Cup with the Capitals in 2018 over the Vegas Golden Knights.
Nicklas Backstrom Statistics
- Capitals’ Backstrom Is Most Underrated Player in the NHL
- Capitals Getting a Big Boost From Backstrom’s Consistency
- Several Washington Capitals Nearing Impressive Milestones
- Stanley Cup Champion (Capitals – 2018)
- World Championship Gold Medal (2017)
- World Championship Scorer of the CWG (2017)
- NHL All-Star Game (2016)
- 2x Best Swedish Player (Viking Award) (2009, 2015)
- Olympic Silver Medal (2014)
- KHL Gagarin Cup Champion (2013)
- NHL All-Rookie Team (2008)
- NHL YoungStars Roster (2008)
- Swedish Junior Hockey Player of the Year (Årets Junior) (2006, 2007)
- U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team Sweden (2007)
- Elitserien Rookie of the Year (2006)
- World Championship Gold Medal (2006)
- World Championship Youngest Swedish Player Ever (2006)
- U18 WJC Bronze Medal (2005)
Matthew Zator is a THW freelance writer, media editor, and scout who lives and breathes Vancouver Canucks hockey, the NHL Draft, and prospects in general. He loves talking about young players and their potential. Matthew is a must-read for Canucks fans and fans of the NHL Draft and its prospects. For interview requests or content information, you can follow Matthew through his social media accounts which are listed under his photo at the conclusion of articles like this one about Tyler Motte.