|Born:||June 2, 1988||Draft:||2006 Blues, 25th Overall|
|Known For:||Olympic Silver Medal||Shoots:||Left|
|National Team:||Sweden||Current Status:||Retired|
Patrik Berglund (born June 2, 1988) is a former Swedish ice hockey player, having played his final year in the NHL with the Buffalo Sabres during the 2018-2019 season. Drafted 25th overall by the St. Louis Blues in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Berglund returned to Sweden for two more seasons to play in the HockeyAllsvenskan league, putting up well above a point-per-game pace in both years with VIK Västerås HK. He made his NHL debut with the Blues in the 2008-09 season, amassing a respectable 47 points in 76 games on a line including David Perron and T.J. Oshie. Two years later, he recorded career-highs in assists and points, however the team failed to make the playoffs. In 2016-17, his 23-goal season marked the third and final time he’d reach the 20-goal plateau, and was also a career high.
After ten seasons in St. Louis, Berglund was involved in the blockbuster trade that brought Ryan O’Reilly to the Blues. The package included Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, a 2019 first-round pick, and a 2021 second-round pick. It was a bittersweet end to his tenure with the team that drafted him, as the Sabres were a bottom-tier team at the time of the trade, and St. Louis would go on to win their first franchise Stanley Cup that season. Berglund’s run in Buffalo did not last long, as he was suspended by the organization for failing to report to the team after 23 games. On pace to record career-low numbers, Berglund stated he became unhappy playing hockey and was often a healthy scratch, and took time to work on his mental health.
The following year, he returned to Sweden to play for Djurgårdens IF of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL), regaining his scoring touch by producing 31 points in 49 games. One year later, he played for Brynäs IF before calling it a career and announcing his retirement. Internationally, Berglund represented Sweden on seven occasions, capturing three silver medals and two bronze medals.
Patrik Berglund Statistics
- Sabres Berglund Tells His Side of the Story
- What Exactly Is a Patrik Berglund?
- Patrik Berglund Providing Blues with Something More
- TV-Pucken Best Forward (Sven Tumbas Stipendium) (2004)
- TV-Pucken Silver Medal (2005)
- 2x HockeyAllsvenskan Most Points by a Junior (2007, 2008)
- Swedish Junior Hockey Player of the Year (Årets Junior) (2008)
- U20 WJC All-Star Team (2008)
- U20 WJC Silver Medal (2008)
- U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team (2008)
- NHL All-Rookie Team (2009)
- NHL YoungStars Roster (2009)
- World Championship Bronze Medal (2009)
- World Championship All-Star Team (2011)
- World Championship Silver Medal (2011)
- World Championship Top 3 Player on Team (2011)
- Olympic Silver Medal (2014)