|Born:||Jan 12, 1978||Draft:||1996 Devils, 91st Overall|
|Known For:||2x SM-liiga Champion||Shoots:||Left|
|National Team:||Sweden||Current Status:||Retired|
Josef Boumedienne (born January 12, 1978) is a former Swedish ice hockey player, having played his final year in the NHL with the Washington Capitals during the 2003-2004 season. Drafted 91st overall by New Jersey Devils in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft, Boumedienne remained in Europe for four seasons, playing two with Södertälje SK of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) and two with Tappara of the Finnish SM-Liiga, before making his way to North America. In his first full season with the Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League (AHL), Boumedienne registered 36 points and 117 penalty minutes in 79 games. He made his NHL debut during the 2001-02 season, scoring in his first game with the Devils.
On November 9, 2001, Boumedienne was packaged with Sasha Goc and the rights to Anton But and sent to the Tampa Bay Lightning for defenseman Andrei Zyuzin. He was assigned to the AHL’s Sprinfield Falcons, but appeared in three games with the Lightning, registering four penalty minutes and a minus-1 rating. Boumedienne was dealt the following summer to the Ottawa Senators for a 2002 seventh-round pick, but his tenure with Ottawa lasted six months before he was traded to the Capitals for defenseman Dean Melanson. He played in parts of two seasons with the Capitals, appearing in a career high 37 games during the 2003-04 season, registering two goals and 14 points. He signed a one-year contract extension to remain with Washington, but the NHL lockout inevitably put an end to his NHL tenure.
Boumedienne made his return to Europe, splitting the 2005-06 between the SHL and the Swiss National League. He made a brief return to North America to play for the Toronto Marlies and Hershey Bears of the AHL, but with a lack of any potential to pursue an NHL role, Boumedienne returned to Europe for good. He finished his career off with stints in the SHL, SM-Liiga, and the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). He represented Sweden on three occasions, winning a bronze medal at the 1996 IIHF European Junior Championships.
Josef Boumedienne Statistics
- Columbus Blue Jackets (European Scout) 2013-2016
- Kärpät, Liiga (Player Coordinator) 2013-2014
- Columbus Blue Jackets (Director of European Scouting) 2016-2021
- Lukko, Liiga (Scout) 2018-2020
- Lidingö Vikings J18, J18 Elit (Assistant Coach) 2018-2019
- Lukko, Liiga (Scout) 2020-current
- Brynäs IF, SHL (Head Coach) 2020-2021
- Columbus Blue Jackets (Director of Professional Scouting) 2021-current
- U18 EJC Bronze Medal (1996)
- AHL All-Star Game (2001)
- SM-liiga All-Star Team (2005)
- 2x SM-liiga Champion (2005, 2007)
- Liiga Playoffs Most Assists by Defenseman (8) (2009)
- Liiga Playoffs Most Points by Defenseman (9) (2009)
- SM-liiga Silver Medal (2009)
- SM-liiga Bronze Medal (2012)
- Liiga Champion (2021)