|Born:||July 3, 1970||Draft:||1988 Jets, #10 overall|
|Hometown:||Avesta, SWE||Position:||Right Wing|
|Known For:||600 Goal Club||Shoots:||Right|
Teemu Ilmari Selänne (born July 3, 1970) is a Finnish former professional ice hockey winger. He played 21 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Winnipeg Jets, Anaheim Ducks, San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche. Nicknamed “the Finnish Flash“, Selänne is the highest scoring Finn in NHL history, and one of the highest overall; he retired in 2014 11th all-time with 684 goals and 15th with 1,457 points. He holds numerous team scoring records for both the Winnipeg/Arizona franchise and the Anaheim Ducks. His jersey number 8 was retired by the Ducks in 2015. In 2017 Selänne was named one of the ‘100 Greatest NHL Players’ in history. On June 26, 2017, Selänne was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame as the second Finn after Jari Kurri.
Selänne was a first-round selection of the Jets, tenth overall, at the 1988 NHL Entry Draft, but initially remained in Finland. He broke into the NHL by scoring 76 goals in 1992–93. It remains the league record for most goals by a rookie and earned him the Calder Memorial Trophy as the top first-year player in the NHL. He has scored 50 goals in a season three times and topped 100 points on four occasions. He played in 10 NHL All-Star Games, was named to four post-season All-Star Teams and won the inaugural Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy in 1998–99 as the league’s leading goal scorer. He was named recipient of the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy in 2005–06 for perseverance and dedication to the game and was a member of the Ducks’ 2007 Stanley Cup championship team.
Teemu Selanne Statistics
- Top 5 Teemu Selanne Moments With Ducks
- Winnipeg Jets’ 50-Goal Scorers
- Anaheim Ducks’ 50-Goal Scorers
- Top 10 All-Time European-Born NHL Forwards
- Won the Calder Trophy (best rookie) in 1993 (Jets)
- Set record for goals by a rookie with 76 in 1993
- Won inaugural Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy in 1999 (Ducks)
- Won Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy in 2006 (Ducks)
- Played in the All-Star Game 10 times (1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007)
- Won the Stanley Cup with the Anaheim Ducks in 2007
- Selanne’s jersey (#8) retired by Anaheim Ducks in 2015
Lifelong storyteller and experienced hockey reporter that has covered everything from major juniors to the NHL. Worked for various newspapers across Minnesota and North Dakota, and now covering the Colorado Avalanche for THW.